Curology's dark spot formula
Kick dark spots to the curb with Curology’s new dark spot formula.
What is the dark spot formula?
Curology’s dark spot formula is a dermatologist-designed prescription cream that treats areas of darkened skin, such as melasma and other types of hyperpigmentation.
How do I use the dark spot formula?
The most important thing is to follow your Curology provider’s instructions! Typically for new patients, the formula is applied as a limited spot treatment twice every day for 3 months, with a 2-month break for your skin afterward. After the first 5 months, the schedule switches to a 2-months-on, 2-months-off cycle. Existing patients who use the dark spot formula will follow a 2-months-on, 2-months-off cycle from the start of treatment.
If you have only a few small dark spots, it’s best to apply the dark spot formula with a cotton swab to avoid accidentally lightening the area around them. If you notice that the skin around your dark spot has been unintentionally lightened, it’s best to stop using the formula for a few weeks. Wait until the surrounding skin returns to its normal color before resuming your treatment.
If you have a cluster of dark spots or a larger patch of hyperpigmentation, apply your dark spot formula to the entire affected area with your fingertips.
What routine should I follow?
While you are adjusting to your Curology medication, your routine might look something like this:
- Wash with water or gentle cleanse
- Use a sunscreen or moisturizer with at least SPF 30
- Curology dark spot formula: Apply a thin layer to dark spots on your face and neck. Leave on for the day
- Wash with a gentle cleanser; wait until face is completely dry
- Use a separate moisturizer, if desired
- Curology dark spot formula: Apply a thin layer to dark spots on your face and neck. Leave on overnight.
It’s important to be consistent with sunscreen as the dark spots being targeted can worsen with sun exposure. Even minimal sun exposure can worsen these dark spots, and this can cancel out the effects of your dark spot formula.
*Be careful of your fingernails when applying your dark spot formula (it can cause discoloration!). Avoid applying your formula on your eyelids, or around your eyes, nostrils, and mouth.
How much does the dark spot formula cost?
Trial: $4.95 free trial for the first month
Ongoing: $4.95 free trial then, $24.90 per month or $39.90 every 2 months
How do I purchase the dark spot formula?
For new members: Your Curology provider may prescribe the dark spot formula if they think it’s a good fit for you! You can also let your provider know you’re interested, but please remember that this is ultimately a medical decision made by your Curology medical provider.
For existing members: Reach out to your Curology provider to let them know you’re interested in the dark spot formula. If your provider agrees that it would be a good fit for you, they can make the switch! Please remember that even if you express interest, the final decision is ultimately up to them.
What are the ingredients?
There are three active ingredients in every Curology dark spot formula, and your dermatology provider determines which ones are right for you. Commonly used active ingredients include:
- Hydroquinone: a gold standard ingredient for treating dark spots and other types of hyperpigmentation
- Hydrocortisone: minimizes possible irritation from hydroquinone
- Ascorbic Acid: antioxidant that improves inflammation and skin firmness
- Kojic Acid: decreases hyperpigmentation
- Azelaic Acid: reduces redness and hyperpigmentation
- Aqua purificata, Cetearyl alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Isohexadecane, Isododecane, C13-C15 alkane, Glyceryl stearate, PEG-75 stearate, Polyacrylate-13, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Polyurethane-39, Stearyl behenate, Cetyl alcohol, Tocopheryl acetate, Ascorbic acid, Sodium Bisulfite, Benzoic acid (0.09%), Sorbic acid (0.09%), Propanediol, Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)